Rage against the God-Machine
These rules replace the World of Darkness Rulebook experience point system. They integrate with the Aspirations, Conditions, and dramatic failure systems in this book. They also shift character progression to a more mathematically linear path, removing costs that increase with higher ranks. Throughout the game, Aspirations, Conditions, and certain other criteria allow you to “take a Beat.”
A Beat, in dramatic terms, is time enough for the audience to recognize a plot point or a change for a character. For our purposes, think of it as a unit of drama. Once you’ve taken five Beats, you gain an Experience. One of these Experiences can be used to purchase one Merit dot or a Skill Specialty. Two of these buy one Skill dot. Four add an Attribute dot.
Criteria for Beats
Each time your character fulfills one of the following criteria, take a Beat. Certain criteria have limits: for example, you may only gain one Beat for a Dramatic Failure in a scene.
- If your character fulfills an Aspiration, take a Beat. At the end of the game session, replace the Aspiration. Choosing a new Aspiration is an excellent activity between games or to handle before the next game session.
- Some rolls and powers may impart Conditions on your character. Each Condition has criteria for resolution, usually requiring a difficult choice for the character. If resolved, take a Beat. You may only take one Beat for a Condition in a given scene.
- Once per scene, if you fail a roll, you may opt to take a Dramatic Failure instead. If you do so, take a Beat. Certain Conditions can have you take an automatic failure as part of their resolutions; you may make these failures Dramatic and take two Beats.
- If your character takes damage in one of her last (right-most) Health boxes, take a Beat.
- The Storyteller can choose to award a Beat for any exceptional example of roleplaying, tactics or character development. If this involves more than one character, all of them should receive the Beat.
- At the end of any game session, take a Beat.
Merit: 1 Experience per dot
Skill Specialty: 1 Experience
Skill: 2 Experiences per dot
Attribute: 4 Experiences per dot
Integrity: 3 Experiences per dot
Willpower: 1 Experience per dot